The following information about Sports Therapy has been paraphrased from material taken directly from “The Society of Sports Therapists” website!
Sports Therapy is an aspect of healthcare that is specifically concerned with the prevention of injury and the rehabilitation of the patient back to optimum levels of functional, occupational and sports specific fitness, regardless of age and ability.
Sports Therapy utilises the principles of sport and exercise sciences incorporating physiological and pathological processes to prepare the patient for training, competition and where applicable, work.
A “Sports Therapist” is a healthcare professional who has the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Utilise sports & exercise principles to optimise performance, preparation & injury prevention programmes.
- Provide the immediate care of injuries and basic life support in a recreational, training & competitive environment.
- Assess, treat & where appropriate, refer on for specialist advice & intervention.
- Provide appropriate sport & remedial massage in a sport & exercise context.
- Plan & implement appropriate injury rehabilitation programmes.
- Sports Therapy is not just about Sports Massage. However, Sports Therapists will possess massage skills that are an integral part of their scope of practice.
- Sports Therapists are not Physiotherapists. But Sports Therapists will apply “physiotherapy” skills within their treatments. Because physiotherapy is described as “the treatment of disease, injury or deformity by physical methods including massage, heat treatment, electricity and exercise, rather than drugs or surgery”. Hence, Sports Therapists will apply many of the same listed skills and modalities within their treatments. But in a sport and exercise perspective rather than a traditional healthcare context.
Essentially, allied to their sport and exercise science knowledge, therapeutic abilities and understanding of sport. Sports Therapists and especially Members of the Society of Sports Therapists are proficient in applying all necessary rehabilitation principles. Which in turn enable their patients to achieve the optimum levels of recovery, that their injury or disability will allow.
Sports Therapy Treatment Costs at A+ Sports Therapy
- 30 Minute Treatment = £35.00
- 60 Minute Treatment = £50.00
- 90 Minute Treatment = £65.00